Wednesday, May 12, 2010

2 New Boxes Up & 5 Eggs Gone

On May 4 I finally put Box 1 up. The next day I saw that a male and female bluebird had adopted the box. By May 9 it looked like their nest was completed.

I also got Box 5 up on May 4. The next day there was a thin layer of nesting material on the floor of the box, and a bluebird was perched on top of the box almost every time I looked.

Box 2 did have 5 eggs in the nest since April 28. The female was always on the nest when I checked it or flew out of it when I drove by. But on May 8, all the eggs were gone. I'm assuming it was from the cold weather. I saw no signs of predators, and we have a predator guard. This box has been very successful the last two years. This is the first time I've experienced the complete disappearance of eggs. What happens? Does the female carry them away or throw them out the hole? And when does she decide to do this?

May 8, 2010:

Box 1: new box up May 4; bluebird nest present
Box 2: all 5 eggs gone; I removed the nest.
Box 3: 4 healthy-looking chicks (8 days old)
Box 4: 3 healthy-looking chicks (9 days old)
Box 5: new box up May 4; thin layer of nest material on floor of box
Box 6: empty; new position for box this year - I'm going to leave it in place. I think it's got a good chance of attracting bluebirds.

No comments:

Post a Comment