Saturday, April 17, 2010

Bluebird Window Collisions at Eau Galle Cheese


The Eau Galle Cheese Factory was busy when I checked the bluebird boxes today.  When I pulled into the parking lot, I noticed a male bluebird "attacking" the store window.  So I went inside to find out when that started.  That's when I discovered it's ice cream cone time.  Not that I need additional motivation to monitor the boxes there...


See the bird droppings on the window sill?  The male bluebird notices his reflection in the window and can't resist stopping to let the "other bluebird" know this is his territory and he'll defend it.  Problem is, birds don't realize the reflection isn't real.  It may be humorous at first, but the shop employees say, the male's been at it all week.

What to do?  Simply "soap" the outside of the window so it breaks up the reflection.  Another solution is to install a screen on the outside of the window.  Or, just tape paper over the reflection.  Take a look at this non-reflective window treatment:  CollidEscape.  And no, those falcon silhouettes and other window stickers do NOT work.  

Here's what's going on in the Eau Galle bluebird boxes:


Box #1:  empty - the box closure pin had been pulled, leaving the side of the box open.  I closed it.


Box #2:  Tree Swallow nest - no eggs.  (note all the feathers)

Box #3:  Bluebird nest, no eggs.  (I assume the male bluebird who's been fighting his reflection in the window - is nesting here).

No comments:

Post a Comment