Friday, August 20, 2010

Abnormal Bluebird Eggs



I checked on the chicks in box #1 today and was surprised.  I 3 newly-hatched chicks and 2 unhatched, abnormal bluebird eggs under them in the nest.

I hadn't noticed the abnormal size and shape of these two eggs when I monitored the box earlier this month.  (A lesson learned about monitoring:  take the eggs out of the nest and put them in your hand to inspect them - even if they look normal in the nestbox).  One egg was round and significantly "dwarfed."  The other was the right shape (oval), but 3mm smaller than a "normal" bluebird egg.

normal egg and the 2 smaller, abnormal eggs

I removed the 2 eggs that hadn't hatched - and compared them with a "normal" infertile egg I'd removed from a box earlier in the summer.  I photographed and measured them.

How to determine if they were fertile?  Easy - I cracked them open.  Both had yellow yolks - no sign of a developing chick.

The three chicks looked fine.

For more information about weird bluebird eggs, check out the North American Bluebird Society website.

No comments:

Post a Comment